Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A beautiful moment

Way back in freshman year, I was obsessed with the idea of Knowing a Material.
Accumulate something en masse, and then half way between It and Me would lie a work of art.
Most of the work I did sophmore year came out of this idea, too.

Now I am accumulating newspaper. Stacking it against the wall, hopefully all 13 feet high. There have been a few avalanches, and after each one I think I've got the material Figured Out, and there will be no more unplanned movement. I turned a chunk of papers on their side this morning, and the whole wall started to slooowly slide. The sheet of plywood I put in for support two days ago started to warp, pulling against the spot I'd screwed it in to the loft. In desperation I unscrewed the plywood and the whole wall continued to move, slowly and gracefully, and then stopped in a form about a foot longer and shorter than it stood before, with the plywood standing up straight again, ready to be re-screwed to the loft a foot to the left of where it previously stood. I've added more support on the far side of the wall, and the waves the newspaper settled in to look beautiful.

No comments: